THINGS TO DO SHORT TERM
See a chiropractor, physical therapist and/or doctor right after the accident
- Even if you feel that your injuries are slight or non- existent. Frequently, people do not feel pain immediately after an automobile accident. Though they are stiff and in pain the next day. Pain sometimes takes several days or even weeks before the pain appears. A doctor will be able to document your injuries and recommend a treatment plan.
Take complete ownership of your health
- No one knows how you feel as much as you do. You only have one body and you have to live in the rest of your life. If your doctor says everything looks normal and you don’t feel normal, get a second opinion.
- Remember, many people do not take action hoping their pain will go away and it doesn’t. Most injuries don’t heal properly without professional medical help.
- By waiting to treat injuries, unfortunately it raises the question when and where you were injured? Protect your interests and treat your injuries immediately. • Do some research on other types of treatment such as acupuncture, chiropractic, physical therapy, pain management and medical massage which should include neuromuscular massage therapy, myofascial release, and trigger point therapy. These are treatments that research shows best help soft tissue injuries.
Be careful when talking to insurance adjusters
- These “friendly sounding” people are not working for you. Even when speaking with your own insurance company. Their job is to keep the money they payout as low as possible.
- Usually the claims adjuster will record your telephone conversations. This is for their protection, not yours and can lower the cost value of your case. • You may want an attorney to do all your communication for you.
- Don’t settle for a claim too soon. Contact your doctors to get estimates of future medical expenses and possible future changes to your lifestyle. On the other hand, if you wait too long, your claim might be banned by certain time restrictions.
Be safe, use an attorney
- Make and keep records of all medical bills and any other expenses caused by the initial accident
- Keep a record of your complaints and progress through the healing process. One of the most important items are activities or tasks you are no longer able to do because of pain caused from the accident.
- When it comes to your treatment and your settlement, honesty is the best policy.
- Any pre-existing conditions are going to be found. It’s best for the medical providers to have your full medical history so they can give you the best care.
- It’s important for your attorney to have all the facts. If information is found later it can be used to make you look like you have lied and are therefore not trustworthy. It is always best to provide those helping you all the information so they can get you the best results.
- Don’t be in a hurry to put the injury and case behind you. It takes time to know the full extent of your injuries.
- Massage, chiropractic and Physical therapists often state that it takes 8 weeks for a new muscle tissue to fully mature. At the end of this process the new muscle tissue shrinks and hardens, at that time pain often reappears.
- It is advised not to think about settling your case until you have been pain free for at least 8 weeks.
Avoid discussing your case
- Attorneys often advise their clients to avoid discussing their case with anyone, including friends and relatives. When it comes to legal matters, even the most innocent comment could come back to haunt you. They always say refer all questions about your case to your lawyer. Avoid making Facebook posts about your accident.